What is a Nurture Group?
A Nurture Group:
- Consists of a class of 8 - 10 children.
- Is taught by trained members of staff.
- Provides play opportunities to help children learn to get along with each other, share, concentrate and communicate.
- Provides supported teaching activities suited to individual needs.
- Provides children with a chance to develop positive relationships with the teaching staff and each other.
- Promotes children’s self esteem and helps them build confidence.·
- Uses ‘snack’ time to help with social learning and encouraging children to attend to the needs of others.
- Is closely linked with the child’s mainstream class.
What difference do Nurture Groups make?
Children in Nurture Groups:
- Have increased confidence and self esteem.
- Believe in themselves as learners.
- Have improved language, literacy and maths skills.·
- Have better friendships.
- Enjoy school.
- Can concentrate better.
- Are able to solve problems·.
- Often return to their classes without needing any extra help.
What is the Nurture Group at Mengham like?
Our Nurture Group is called The Treasure Chest Group. It:·
- Runs during afternoon sessions.
- Is available to children from Year R to Year 2.·
- Takes place in a specially resourced classroom.
- Is run by highly skilled members of staff
- Assesses children and works on individual goals.
If you would like more information please contact Karen Hill on 023 9246 2470 or email: